3/19/09

Just a Thought (After Watching You)

Sometimes I need to get out of my head. It's a mess in there! Abandoned ideas scribbled here, never ending to-do lists over there, the old needs to be taken out to make room for the new, some dusting wouldn't be unwelcome either ... you get my point. I acknowledge that I over analyze and am uber-neurotic ... the first step is admitting it, right?

I generally do not consider myself someone who cares what people think about me. Yet, I can't help but wonder what others conclude from the normal-to-me actions or habits I participate in daily. Like singing in the car or walking a certain way down the street. People-watching is one of my very favorite things, so I can only assume there are others out there who enjoy it as much as I do. My mind frequently wanders to the thought processes and preconceived notions of those who may be watching me. What do my quirky behaviors say? What do others assume about my character after witnessing only 30 seconds of my life?

When you do kind things, people think you are a kind person. When you act selfishly, people will assume you are a selfish person. If you ask stupid questions, people will label you a stupid person. It's practically impossible to keep it all up at all times. I'm no dummy, but I've done idiotic things. There is at least one person walking around today who has dubbed me 'tard of the century' after witnessing yours truly walk into a glass door a few months ago. I would probably assume the same if I saw someone do such a thing. It was a completely random occurrence, only one minuscule event in my vast lifetime ... but to that person I'll always be 'stupid'.

There isn't much you can do to counteract the personal verdicts of other people. So, conclusion? Not entirely sure there is one. I guess, just think before you act or speak and people will think you are kind, generous and smart ...

Or just don't care, be yourself no matter what and suffer the consequences - that you may become the subject of ridicule when other people laugh about you later with their friends. After all, that's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment