3/2/09

Admitted!

So far, 2009 has been a real trip. It's barely March and already so much in my life has changed, including officially finding out that I will be a 'real', bona fide college student at San Diego State University, starting this fall. Health Science with an emphasis in Public Health, here I come! I don't know why I really doubted my admission ... it's not that competitive of a school, but I always have less than the desired amount of confidence in myself. Note to self: work on this.


Anyway, I am so excited to start learning things that strictly relate to my intended major and will lend to making me a more well-rounded RN someday. I'm borderline-ADD about organizing my pending class schedule and am intrigued by Emergency Preparedness & Disaster Response, especially since I deal with DMAT at work from time to time. Also, Plagues Through the Ages. Plagues, people! Awesome. Sometimes I get depressed about how long its taken me to get to where I am now in my education. Most of my friends have graduated and are looking into Masters programs, while I'm barely getting started on my BS. But, that's life I guess and the further along I get in mine, I realize that things really do happen for a reason.

First of all, I don't think I would necessarily know what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be if I had transferred two years ago when everyone else my age did. I was preoccupied with assorted unmentionables, definitely not ready to start the next stage in my life. Second, although I might not always realize it, I really have accomplished a good amount in the last 5-ish years since High School. I started working right away, which taught me a lot about taking care of myself and did tremendous things for my maturity level. I left the nest at the ripe old age of 18 and now, at 24, I am extremely comfortable in my independence. I've held a great job for the past 4 years, where I continue to learn new things every day and have resources I can definitely use to my advantage later when I need RN program recommendations/ job opportunities. I became certified as an EMT, got my AS degree, had amazing volunteering experiences, lived a bit ... and in a little more than 3 years from now, I will have two more degrees under my belt, a career to dedicate myself to and more proof that everything happens (in due time) for a reason.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention, when speaking of your great job, the GREAT people you work with. Don't let it happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    Maegan & Nikol will probably kill me for this, but the Graduate School of Public Health has several large research programs going on and hires lots of people, including admins. Just thought I'd share. www.foundation.sdsu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I'm so excited to start this fall! I feel like my life is backwards in some ways ... career first, now 'real' school and into another career. I guess I don't cater to the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris - you do understand that this means war, don't you? Autumn, working at UCSD rather than SDSU you are like at least seven miles closer to Chick Fil-A. Beat that Kris!

    ReplyDelete