2/3/09

On the Fence

Thinking about investing in a new signature scent? I happened across this intriguing, but strange perfume shop online called CB I Hate Perfume. The company was founded by Christopher Brosius (thus, the CB) who decided to combine his childhood love of both art and science into one lucrative career. The Perfumer was born. Apparently, he knows what he is doing because he's won all kinds of awards and recognition for his creations world wide.

There is so much to look at on his site, I've barely scratched the surface of what he has to offer. However, I could hardly contain my brow-raising when I found this "In The Library" scent. Too bad I love the library, especially the smell! What an awesomely random idea. The scent is specifically “English Novel" and taken from a "Signed First Edition of one of [his] very favorite novels, Russian & Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish". My senses would be so confused (in a good way) if I were to catch a whiff of someone wearing this.


I'm not sure if I would actually sport this scent, but that's coming from someone who usually abstains from perfume. Anyway, I think it is definitely unique and could attract an intellectual from miles away.

P.S. This Brosius guy is super intense about his work. Exhibit A - his company's manifesto (below).

CB Manifesto
I hate perfume.
Perfume is too often an ethereal corset trapping everyone in the same unnatural shape
A lazy and inelegant concession to fashionable ego
Too often a substitute for true allure and style
An opaque shell concealing everything – revealing nothing
A childish masque hiding the timid and unimaginative
An arrogant slap in the face from across the room
People who smell like everyone else disgust me
* * * * * * *
Perfume is a veil that reveals the soul
Perfume is the fanfare of our individuality sounding differently to everyone who listens
Perfume is a signpost to our true selves – a different journey for the brave to travel
Perfume is the weather of our inner world bringing life to a personal landscape
Perfume is an art that shows us who we can be if we dare – an invisible portrait of who we are
Perfume is discovered fully only by our lovers when we are together - naked.


Um ... okay. If you are not at all creeped out after reading that, you would most likely enjoy the 2006 film, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment