2/16/09

In Rememberance

I get President’s Day off every year, paid. And while I’m shopping or sleeping in or participating in any number of random activities other than working, I have never really stopped and thought ... why?

February 16th is George Washington’s birthday and used to be celebrated specifically for him. Abraham Lincoln, another especially influential President, also celebrates his birthday this month (February 12 to be exact). We couldn’t choose which one was more deserving, a debatable task in of itself, so we combined the birthdays of two of the most inspirational and important leaders in the history of our country. Now, February 16th is a national holiday, a day to commemorate all Presidents, with the emphasis lying on President Washington and Lincoln.


The more I think about this holiday, the more I like it. George Washington was the first President of the United States of America. He was the father of our country. His birthday is February 16th. Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States and the first republican one in office. He is responsible for the Emancipation Proclamation and passing of the 13th amendment. He was a former Illinois senator. Earlier this year, Barack Obama was sworn into office as the 44th President of the United States. He is the first African-American president and also a former Illinois senator ... needless to say, this slipstream of thought could go on for a while.

Anyway, I get 13 paid holidays off a year, 7 of which don’t really count, as they are major holidays.

New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Day
Independence Day
Thanksgiving Day
Friday after Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

To me, these paid days off are self-explanatory. We get New Year’s off to recuperate, July 4th to celebrate our independence, Thanksgiving to recognize our blessings, the day after to deal with visiting relatives and Christmas to focus on family and religious significance (if we so desire).

But, what about these? I don't put enough thought or excitement into these …

Martin Luther King Jr. Day
President's Day
Cesar Chavez Day
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Veterans Day

I have a vague memory of mentally thanking Cesar Chavez on my way to the beach last year, which I find pathetic and to be honest, a little ungrateful. I need to start making an effort to pay my respects throughout the year. These days are national/ state holidays for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment