1/28/09

Reluctant Lessons

Today, my-coworker told me about how her 8 year old threw a temper tantrum over finishing his homework last night and when he woke up this morning, he threw an even bigger fit about not having it ready to turn in. It's funny because he learned, on his own, a reluctant lesson. If you don't finish your homework at night, it will not be ready for class in the morning. It didn't matter what Mom told him ... Joey had to experience the consequences first hand to truely grasp the concept.

Sometimes I feel like such a child. I've recently realized that I have focused so intently on everything I did not learn being in a relationship, I have failed to appreciate the knowledge I have acquired since being single. Though I have only a few months of experience, I am amazed at how re-educated about myself I've become. Here are a few of the lessons I've reluctantly learned ... but am thrilled about!

Uncertainty is okay. I am a super-planner/ goal-setter, so this has been the hardest obstacle for me to overcome. I hate not being prepared which, unfortunately, is a requirement of being single. I've been forced out of my comfort zone. But, all I can do is be myself, which is ironically the easiest thing to do and truely liberating.

Be present. Sing in the car. See a movie. Act out. Dance with yourself. Learn an instrument. Start a journal. Learn a language. Focus on friends. Take a road trip. Live now.

Be positive. So important! I don't believe there is a situation that can't be changed by an attitude alteration. Imagine something terrible ... now, think about something magnificent. Do you see how easliy your attitude shifted along with your thoughts? Mental imagery is powerful. This lesson is gold, people. You can thank me later.

Laugh at yourself. This is self explanitory. Don't take yourself too seriously, you are only human! Also, Laughing at other people helps too.

Be patient. I know that all things happen for a reason, even if I don't always comprehend why. I also know that I am a very impatient person. If you are in need of an outlet like me, focus your go-getter tendencies on yourself (ie. education goals, your health, career) and succeed at things that do not require patience, unlike your personal life. Relationships will emerge when they are meant to.

These bits of wisdom might be common sense to those less jaded than me, but sometimes being reluctant to learn is necessary to truely become illuminated. It's about the journey and the lesson. And I am oh so grateful for both.

3 comments:

  1. I love the part about being able to laugh at yourself. So very true. Especially the part about how it's fun to laugh at other people. I know that's not exactly what you said, but I'm paraphrasing to suit my own needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. I laugh at you on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's JOSEPH, not Joey. Get it right.

    ReplyDelete