1/28/09

Make My Mark

One of my greatest fears in life is drifting quietly through it, making no difference in the grand scheme of things. Whether you believe there is an afterlife or not (personally, I do), I can’t convince myself that I should keep this one to myself. What purpose would that serve? I have been given the potential to put positive changes into action, something this world desperately needs, and I don’t believe I have the right to ignore that.

I'm not completely ungrateful for what I have experienced in my life so far, but how can I fully appreciate this world without seeing as much of it as possible? Therefore, I’ve come to the conclusion that my life must include (meaningful) travel. I feel so selfish saying that I don’t have time in my school schedule to take a few months off/ have enough money saved to volunteer somewhere, even though it is true. The child soldiers in Uganda do not pencil in being kidnapped in their sleep or watching the LRA slaughter their families. The throngs of starving people in India are not choosing to spend their money on a new pair of jeans instead food. I’m not trying to be a hero or get props for being selfless, I just feel … insignificant. Wasting away on trivial things seems like the ultimate crime to me and I am on a mission to change that. Now, I don’t necessarily have an abundance of resources, but I still have more than some. Yeah, I don’t want to eat ramen for dinner again, but at least I have an education and my family is alive and well … some people can’t even say that. It makes you think. I don’t have much, but I’ll give everything I can.

I’m (cross your fingers!) transferring to SDSU this fall and have been aching to spend a semester abroad this winter. For at least the past year, I’ve been anticipating going somewhere like Costa Rica or Spain to break in my traveling shoes while earning a few language credits. Change of plans. About those resources (or my lack thereof)... here is my perfect opportunity to dedicate my time, energy and whole self to making a difference in someone else’s life. And you know what? I’m even more excited about that prospect than I was about learning to speak Spanish in a foreign country.

I am fully aware that I may not be able to accomplish all I want in my lifetime. I acknowledge that I can only try my best and work my hardest. Because at least then, when my time here is done, people can say I had massive potential I refused to ignore, that I thought globally and acted outside myself. That, right there, is making a difference, definitively inspirational and concrete evidence I made my mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment