10/14/09

Our Union

I consistently have crazy dreams, but lately I've been having ones about getting married or attending a reception or trying on wedding dresses - you know, crazy dreams. I don't know if it's because I've recently seen episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" or because I've been getting all gooey over romantic poetry lately, but these dreams (or nightmares?) have been happening for the past week or two.

I had another one last night and woke up this morning, thinking about a poem I read yesterday that I really love.

Our union is like this: you feel cold, so I reach for a blanket
to cover our shivering feet.
A hunger comes into your body, so I run to my garden
and start digging up potatoes.
You asked for a few words of guidance, and I quickly kneel
by your side offering you a whole book as a gift.
You ache with loneliness one night so much you weep, and I say
here is a rope, tie it around me, I will be your companion for life.


- Our Union, Hafiz

This doesn't have to necessarily refer to a wedding union, it could be any kind of commitment, really. I just love romantic poetry that isn't all "I'd die for you" all the time. Sigh ... so sweet. These dreams need to stop, I'm giving myself a toothache!

No comments:

Post a Comment